Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Android Phone Available October 22

At last, Google/T-mobile have announced a release date of October 22, 2008 for the HTC Dream (aka T-mobile G1) in a press conference today. The phone is priced at $179 with a 2-year contract with T-mobile. I'm curious how much it is without those restrictions...hmmmm...

One major concern for me is the tether-ability; From Ars Technica, "In response to a question about whether the device will be tetherable to a laptop, the company said that the G1 was 'meant to be used as a mobile device, not as a tethered modem.'" Now, I actually love being able to tether my Nokia N810 to my phone just for the accessibility of ssh, email, and the web. Though, I suppose I should be able to get the same functionality via the HTC.

I'm sure another big issue at hand for companies thinking about rolling this device out to they're staff is the support for MS Exchange, which "there is currently no Exchange compatibility". Though, this does not seem to worry any prospective buyers who only want access to their Google Apps as Gmail, Google Maps, etc. will work perfectly fine.

I'm sure the iPhone lovers are curious to compare the similarities and differences that stand out. Right now, it looks like an Amazon (DRM-less) MP3 store and an "Android Market" will compete with the iPhone's iTunes Store and Apple App Store respectively.

I have to admit, I've been anxious about Android ever since rumors flooded the web about a "G-phone", so I'm admitting to being a bit biased. Though, I think that the true test will be when users get their hands on these devices.

Now when does my current cellular contract end... :)

Cheers!

References: T-Mobile, Google finally unveil the first Android phone

No comments: