Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Helix3 2008R1

So, I recently was asked to get data off of a laptop for a friend. I took the laptop home with me and noticed that I left my old Helix CD at my parents' house. "Not a big deal, I can just download the latest iso!"

So first thing I noticed was the use of Gnome, but wait, look further, it's actually Ubuntu! Cool! But wait, I just want to recover some data and I don't need Gnome to be running, it costs too much overhead! Bah!

I was not even able to append a boot parameter to boot in console-only mode (or at least I wasn't able to find one). Fine, I got the files off anyway!

I also noticed an "install" option. That's cool! Maybe I'll be more curious and even test it out.

Cheers!

UPDATE
Ok, silly me! To go about booting into console-only mode the answer was really just in my face! If you hit F6 at the Helix menu, you can edit the boot parameters. Just delete splash and that's it! Though, Gnome still loads so you'll just have to do a Ctrl+Alt+[F1-F6] to get to one of those console screens.

No comments: