Wednesday, December 22, 2010

CR-48 Day 2: New Perspective

Okay, so another day using Chromium; my frustrations really had me worried about the success of this OS. I'm still technically not completely sold on this browser-based OS, but hey, I think it's beginning to grow on me a little.

Who Is the Intended Audience?

I sat back thinking, "wow this is frustrating! I'm an engineer, I know how things work, but this just isn't working for me." But this is new technology; there's always that learning period that you need to get passed and alas, I think I've got it now.

I believe Chromium is advertised as a netbook OS right? Well, I guess that's it then; an OS where you can have the ability to do some internet browsing, watch some videos, and et cetera lightweight processing.

Apps Galore!

"Apps" you ask? Yes, that's right install Chrome Apps and play around with things; that's exactly what I did. I found a lot of useful things (and a lot of non-useful things). But being that this OS is basically a giant Chrome browser, what else am I to do?

But, what's the difference between some of these apps and just browsing to these sites? That, well I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I just found it awfully helpful to be able to click on an icon in my menu, rather than navigating my bookmarks. --also, keep in mind that some apps do have the ability to break out of the chrome browser window (google talk, eBuddy).

Now, why go with this apps approach? Well, if you own a smartphone, you obviously know that this approach has been awfully successful in marketing different software to a wide range of people. So why not?

Stupeflix has a pretty neat app that you can create different videos using their templates.


Heck, I even found a digital recording studio app by the folks at Aviary. I made a short test last night inspired by StrongBad's "techno song" and well, I was awfully surprised to find how detailed it was (for Pro Tools users, check it out, you'll be surprised). As for a guy who still records on a Tascam 4-track (yes, with the cassette tapes), this is a very useful app for me.

Updates and Ramblings

I'm slowly adapting to this mouse. I still can't get the hang of right-clicking, but at least now I am navigating well.

I did a little bit of work using the CR-48. Nothing too difficult since all I need is a shell to do work.

Since I found a couple of web-based video apps, I'm gonna try hooking the notebook up to my TV see how that experience is. Is the CR-48 really a HTPC in disguise?

Til next update, cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whats Myra eating? lol Interesting about it being a netbook OS since I have one lol