Thursday, December 23, 2010

CR-48: A Portable HTPC?

Yes, I can watch a bunch of "Dog Whisperer" episodes!


Connect Your CR-48 To Your TV

There's a VGA port, a USB slot, and sound output; all that you need to enjoy some videos on a bigger screen! Okay, so you technically only just need a VGA port to get the output onto the TV, but a wireless keyboard and speakers could help enhance this experience.

The one issue I was first worried about when I first connected the VGA I took a look at the keyboard of the CR-48 and said, "ok...now how do I change the display?". Luckily Google put that keyboard shortcut map (ctrl + alt + /) so I can find out about the display toggle key combination: ctrl + fullscreen

What Apps Are There?

Check out Clicker.TV! Honestly, I knew about this app once the Chrome App Store opened up and have been using it ever since. So, just think about all the videos available on the internet. Now think of [a lot of] that content being aggregated into one repository that you can browse/search. Pretty rad eh?

Now, I'm not saying all videos are free, but there is a large collection of older TV shows available for free (just found Macgyver last night
!), independent shows/movies, and of course web-only videos. You'll also find videos listed via iTunes, Amazon, Comcast, et cetera, those obviously are the ones that you'll either need to pay for or have an account.

We do not have cable television at home, so another medium to play videos is very appealing. --Yes, you have read that correctly, NO CABLE; only those basic channels that you get over-the-air for free.

Another nice one is Crackle. It's got "Final Fantasy" the movie! And of course a bunch of other things in it's repository. I haven't had time to play with Crackle too much, but they seem to have a nice selection!


Wish List

VLC Media Player please! I can't seem to find an app out there that has the ability to play local video files yet. This would be awesome!

DLNA Support We have a PS3, a NAS that supports DLNA, and even my desktop running PS3 Media Server. If the CR-48 had DLNA support, I would be able to access all of my media files on my network too!

Post Scripts & Cruft

Plugging in my USB keyboard/mouse made my navigation much easier! I have a wireless keyboard & mouse (trackpad) combo (usually connected to the PS3 or my laptop when we connect it to the TV). Being able to sit down on my couch and just navigate is always a great thing to have. But the best part was being able to have physical left & right mouse clicks!

I've mentioned this before, but the battery life on the CR-48 is simply amazing! I currently have my Dell Latitude D430 on as well and I only had maybe one hour of battery life (fully charged). Yes, I've had the D430 for a while now, but I don't ever recall having such as good a battery life as the CR-48.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Jeff Gedgaud said...

Problem with this is I really don't like the CR-48 for streaming video, it does not have enough CPU and Memory to run video smoothly. It can run it if you just have to but a little more horsepower under the hood makes the video a lot more enjoyable.